Just in case if you missed it, there was a major announcement yesterday from Office 365 Product team relating to new capabilities in SharePoint Online team sites including integration with Office 365 Groups.
All the changes described below will be rolling out next week to Office 365 First Release program users.
Office 365 Groups + SharePoint Online team sites = Just Married!
Office 365 Groups as we know it today gives us a shared inbox, calendar, OneNote notebook, a Planner for task management and connector.
The new addition to Office 365 Group is a full-blown SharePoint team site with a modern home page and the ability to create additional pages such as document libraries, lists and business apps.
- When new team site is created (public or private), a new Office 365 group membership will be created.
- All existing Office 365 groups will be updated with their own SharePoint Online team site.
- Once the rollout is complete for your Office 365 tenant, all newly created groups will get a team site by default.
- SharePoint Online team site home page also provides quick access to the group’s Outlook conversations.
- Office 365 Group card with navigation links to more of the group’s calendar, files, etc. appear when clicking on the name of team site.
Some of the key SharePoint Online enhancements include:
- The new 25 TB site collection limit will begin rolling out next week and is expected to be rolled out to all Office 365 customers worldwide within one month.
- Home page of a SharePoint Online modern team site gives you immediate visibility into site activity and important documents, with quick access to Office 365 Groups, its members and associated Office 365 apps.
- Responsive team site making pages user friendly on any device.
- Ability to create team site publishing pages in your browser when you click New within a SharePoint Online team site.
- Clicking the + sign enables the user to pick a web part from the toolbox to add content on page – i.e. add documents, videos, images, site activities, Yammer feeds and more.
- Clearly, for organisations who have leveraged the use of Office 365 Groups as well as SharePoint Online team sites need to evaluate their current landscape of how above changes will impact their information management strategy and no doubt reorganising content will be an opportunity for administrators to balance the existing Office 365 Groups and SharePoint Online team site deployments.